Become a Makerspace Mentor
Our Makerspaces are very popular with students, and although our Site Tinkerers and Tinker Teachers work very hard, they are often too busy during classes and lunch periods to give students individual attention and mentorship. We need your help to engage students in learning new skills and bringing their ideas to life.
- Experience and/or strong interest in working with young people ages 5-13
- Skills with technology, art, craft, engineering, music, science, green design, etc. OR an interest in developing these skills.
• Beginning-of-Service orientation and ongoing learning opportunities
• Supervised access to and training with high-tech machinery, tools and toys such as 3D printers, vinyl cutters, We-Do, Dash 'n' Dots, Makey Makey, Little Bits, and much more.
• Receive credit for your work, including features in Makerspace Media (Maker Ed’s Google+ blog, Ravenswood Makerspace Squarespace, RCSD Makerspace Youtube, etc.)
• Letters of recommendation may be written by our Volunteer Coordinator upon request
Work one-on-one with students or in groups of up to 5 students
Collaborate with teachers to plan and run activity "stations" during lunch and other free periods
Keep Makerspace tidy and organized
Provide general help and encouragement to students
Bring any serious concerns/issues to the attention of RCSD staff
Engage in your own learning and exploration
Technical Support of project documentation (contribute video, photos, sketchbook scans, lab notebook scans, or blog posts to our media presence)
Establish contacts to recruit more volunteers, obtain in-kind donations, sustain student projects, and connect your Makerspace to the community.
1 and 2 hour shifts available Monday-Friday, between 10AM and 4PM
We ask that volunteers commit to at least 1 shift a week
How do I get started?
To apply for this volunteer opportunity in a diverse & dynamic environment, please fill out our Volunteer Interest Form at ravenswoodmakerspace.squarespace.com/volunteer. Our volunteer coordinator will be in touch to explain next steps and to schedule an orientation.